Happy fall ya’ll! I say “fall”, but, as usual, Florida still hasn’t gotten the memo. We had a little nice weather teaser before it shot back up to the high 80s again! I’ve got my pumpkin scented candles burning & am doing everything possible to wish “fall” into existence! I realized I couldn’t remember the last time I’ve made broccoli soup & figured maybe, just maybe some warm soup might remind the weather what month it is. I couldn’t find the usual recipe I use so after finding a couple decent looking & sounding ones on Pinterest, squishing them together, adding things, skipping things, & basically completely butchering them so bad that I don’t even have to give those sites credit (lol), I came up with this…
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups regular cream (half & half can also be used)
- 3 cups chicken broth or stock
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1/2 cup celery (diced)
- 5 garlic cloves (minced)
- 3 cups of shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar for garnish (optional)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Saute the onion & garlic with 2 tablespoons of butter and set aside.
- In a large pot, whisk together remaining butter & flour over medium heat for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the cream & chicken broth and let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add broccoli, carrots, onions, and celery. Let them simmer on medium for about 25 minutes until the veggies are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt, pepper, & shredded cheese.
- Allow the cheese to melt then serve. Top individual bowls with remaining shredded cheese if desired.
I actually used about 4 times the veggies the other recipes called for, but honestly it turned out perfectly balanced. I feel that one cup of broccoli does not a broccoli soup make. I also used way more cheese as well, but who doesn’t love cheese?! Anyways, hopefully “fall” will get here soon & I can try out some more cool weather recipes! Hope you enjoy this recipe! If you are anything like me & have to change up recipes you find online, I’d love to hear what variations you made! Have a favorite fall dish? Let me know so I can give it a try!