Hey, guys! We started February out with my youngest starting to run a 102 fever during her field trip today! Yay! So instead of the Valentine’s Day craft project I originally had planned to make & share today (don’t worry we’ll revisit that one shortly), I decided to go with an easy family favorite: Chex’s Muddy Buddies also known as Puppy Chow in this household. This is a great, inexpensive, quick, & easy recipe perfect for any occasion! Not only is it a perfect thing to bring to events (I’ve mentioned before that I can’t be invited anywhere without bringing something lol) like the Puppy Bowl party we went to this weekend (if the party’s host Got Cache doesn’t share it soon, I’ll be bringing that adorable idea to you very soon), it makes a perfectly sweet gift in a mason jar or festive tin. Ok that was not a grammatically correct sentence in any way, but anywho… While I’ve made it tons of times & know the recipe by heart, I double checked the Chex website to make sure I quote it perfectly, and oh my goodness, Chex Party Mix & Muddy Buddies have exploded into so many cool flavors, styles, & varieties! Definitely going to revisit that recipe treasure trove again soon! Can you say endless possibilities?? Check some of them out by clicking here! Gosh I’m scattered tonight… must stay on point! The traditional Muddy Buddy recipe is simple, only 6 ingredients necessary, most of which you probably have on hand. Now if you haven’t noticed, I love holidays & enjoy tailoring recipes to fit the occasion so we’ll add one more thing to … so without further ado…
♥ Valentine’s Puppy Chow ♥
- 9 cups Chex cereal (the recipe doesn’t specify a variety, but I use Rice Chex)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine (normally I use margarine for cooking, but I’ve made this recipe with both options & definitely would go with the butter)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
- Valentine’s sprinkles &/or pink or red colored sugar
- Into large bowl, measure cereal; set aside.
- In 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on High 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated.
- Pour into a 2-gallon Ziploc bag.
- Add powdered sugar. Seal bag; shake until well coated.
- Spread on waxed paper & add those festive sprinkles.
- Let cool then store in airtight container in refrigerator.
So in less than 30 minutes including cooling time, you have a delicious snack perfect for a Valentine’s Day party, sweet gift for a loved one, or a special lunch box treat for the littlest valentines on your list! So that’s my Valentine’s idea of the day… hope you liked it! I’d like to challenge you to think beyond your significant other & kids this year! Remember to show everyone you care about a little extra love this Valentine’s Day! Grab a couple of your brother’s favorite candies & put them in a cute gift bag! Make your coworkers some brownies! Bring your mom some flowers or have them delivered if you live too far away! Let’s spread the love and remember, when in doubt, chocolate always works! ♥