Sugar Cookie Dough Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine (softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- In a mixing bowl, cream softened butter (or margarine) & sugar together.
- Mix in egg & vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix the remaining dry ingredients.
- Slowly add flour mixture to the mixing bowl a little at a time.
- Divide into 2 balls & refrigerate at least one hour.
- Use a rolling pin to out one ball on a floured surface & cut with cookie cutters. (Keep the other ball & dough scraps in the fridge between batches because the dough is much easier to work with chilled!)
- Bake cookies on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 8 -10 minutes.
- Let cookies cool for a minute or two on the cookie sheet then move to a cooling rack.
Now that your cookies are cooled, it’s time to decorate! While any canned frosting will do, I make a simple powdered sugar icing for my sugar cookies! All you do is pour powered sugar in a bowl & SLOWLY stir in little amounts or water or milk until you reach the desired consistency. Then use food coloring to dye your frosting whatever color suits your needs. I accidentally burnt the first batch of my cookies (guess I can’t hear that timer from the other room),used large cookie cutters, & might have “sampled” some of the raw cookie dough so let the girls decorate all of the 10 cookies we ended up with lol. I laid out some parchment paper with cooling racks on top, made white & orange frosting, dug out our large sprinkle collection, & let the girls get creative! We ended up with some tasty Halloween sugar cookies, just BOO-tiful!